What is the most important profession in the world? More or less requested, all occupations have their degree of importance in society, but the fact is that they all need teachers.
The profession of an educator is directly linked to the structural formation of society itself, and this makes this professional, perhaps, the greatest need to develop his activities with ethics and responsibility.
What does it mean to be a teacher?
Education specialists often differentiate between teachers and educators. A teacher is a professional himself, the one who, in the act of teaching, uses the knowledge acquired in his training, without being socially involved.
The educator goes beyond the profession. He is driven by the vocation of teaching all the time, in the classroom or outside. Under these circumstances, the act of teaching takes on a social role, which includes developing students not only professionally but also as citizens. This process requires the educator to provoke “intellectual conflicts” in students instead of just passing on content.
How to become a teacher?
The labor market for teachers is relatively broad, since the growing number of students always demands more professionals. To become a professional, you must have one of the following backgrounds:
- Bachelor’s degree – Higher courses that enable the professional to teach in the modalities of Early Childhood Education and Elementary and High School, licensing the graduate to work in specific areas such as Mathematics, Geography, Biological Sciences, Letters, Chemistry, Physics and Pedagogy;
- Higher education – Higher education degree that enables the teacher to work in Early Childhood Education and in the first years of Elementary Education;
- Teaching – High school course that trains teachers to work in Education Infantile (in disuse and will be extinct in some years);
- Pedagogy – Higher education degree that enables the professional to work in Infantile Education and in the initial years of Elementary School (up to the 5th year). Although the priority is the training of teachers, some professionals can integrate management teams of the school system; pedagogical complementation. In order to work at a higher level, a graduate degree of lato sensu (especialization).
How should the teacher act?
In the exercise of the profession, the teacher deals with people all the time, so it is understood that every teacher must be an educator. For most children, school is the first social environment outside the family circle. According to this aspect, it functions as a place of social transformation, where what is learned must be useful in the practical life of each human being, and the same applies to other educational institutions.
In order to adapt to the role, the teacher needs to adhere to continuous training, which involves permanent learning and which should serve for his personal, cultural and professional development. The professional, in no way, can accommodate himself in the face of social changes. In fact, it is a fundamental part of these changes, seeking to understand and teach them to students.
The labor market for teachers
There is a plan of national unified career that applies to all federal, state or municipal public education teachers, which is where most of the vacancies are concentrated.
Teachers can work in several areas, among which we can highlight:
- pedagogical advice (and for companies) in its area of knowledge;
- content production for distance learning courses, as well as monitoring the development of students in this modality;
- classes in elementary, middle and higher education;
- production, revision and editing of texts for companies in the publishing industry.
The best salaries are in higher education and vary according to the professional’s degree. For those who want to become a university professor, it is necessary to invest more time in training. Until a few years ago, to work in higher education it was enough to have completed an undergraduate course. Today, it is necessary to have, at a minimum, a lato sensu postgraduate program to work in private colleges and a stricto sensu graduate program (master’s or doctorate) to be a professor at universities or federal public schools.
Teachers can also choose to specialize in educational management, in order to exercise management positions in schools and colleges, for example.
What to expect from the profession?
Examples of happy and successful teachers abound in society. Whoever chooses to follow the teaching life and understands the value of this profession will most likely be fulfilled in their career. You need to stick to the profession with love and dedication, recognizing the importance of becoming a reference for hundreds of people throughout your journey.